During the South African War ( 1899-1902) the church and town was burned down. Capt. T E Harrsion took the Town Bell of Lindley and presented it to his regiment ( Leicester Yeomanry) on return from South Africa. The bell can still be seen at B (LDY) Squadron HQ at Glen Parva. It has been used to sound time at annual camp and in more recent times used as the "muster" bell for the start of duty at the drill hall.